*I received this item as a gift so this is a type of sponsored post
Hi guys, so since I've been getting a lot of questions about Everlane's Form Bag I've decided to fast track this review if you are debating on whether or not to get this bag. So as I disclaimed up top I got this as a gift from Everlane, but only after I kindly asked my contact at Everlane (this was the first time I've ever asked them for anything). I originally wasn't on the list of influencers to get this bag for free (cuz I'm still small beans you know), but I thought why not just try asking? And wonderful Emily at Everlane said yes and she sent it to me with next day delivery (shout out to Emily--thank you so much!). Man I feel like I won the lottery!
And you guys, I did win the lottery because this bag is uhhhhmazing. No really, I know bags and this is a good one! True to its name this mid-size bag is uber functional but the build and leather quality on this is really fantastic.
So here are all the ways I love this bag:
- So this 13” height x 5” depth x 10.5” width bag fits my 13" Macbook Pro. This is the first bag I've ever had that can isn't a tote that can fit my computer, which is awesome. However, a Macbook with a laptop sleeve will not fit horizontally because it just barely fits with the laptop alone. I think a larger laptop might fit vertically but then you wouldn't be able to close the top of the bag. But I'm not really afraid of leaving my laptop in there without a case since the inside of the bag is soft (it's lined by a kind of cottony felt material glued to the leather).
- I really love the adjustable fabric strap. Yes, it might make the bag look cheaper, but when it comes to function and comfort a fabric strap can't be beat! The fabric strap allows you to adjust the strap to the exact length that you want (as opposed to pre-determined belt holes of a leather strap). And I prefer fabric straps when it comes to comfort since leather straps tend to be stiff and heavier than fabric ones. But where the straps connect to the bag is leather so that helps to keep wear and tear to a minimum.
- The magnetic closing up top is super easy to open and close. I also like to grab the bag by the pinched ends at the top, making it easy to grab. I usually like bags with top handles as well as a shoulder strap since I can easily grab the bag by the top handles. In this case the flattened top acts like a top handle.
- I can pile a ton of stuff inside of it. The other day I ended up buying a bit too many snacks at World Market (I rarely go in there so when I do, I end up overdoing it lol) and since I didn't want to use a throwaway bag I just threw everything into my bag. When it gets stuffed, the Form bag ends up acting more like a bucket bag (the top won't close but that just means you have even more space to throw stuff in).
-Inside the bag is one large flat pocket great for stashing my phone and keys.
- The corners of this bag are reinforced with stitches so it should keep wear and tear to a minimum.
On top of all the great functionality, the leather quality on this bag is really amazing. When someone asked how it compares with my Celine smooth leather bags (like my Sangle), I would say the Everlane leather is a tad more lightweight (thinner) but also less prone to scratching. For what you are paying ($235 for this bag), you are getting a great value (compare that to $2200 for a Celine). And for those wondering, the bag empty weighs 1 pound 6oz, which is fairly lightweight for a midsize leather bag (the Celine Sangle weighs 2 pounds 4 oz.).
The only thing I would caution about the design of this bag is that with time and wear, if you don't take care and moisturize the leather at the top where it bends to close via the magnets, I can see the leather wrinkling and cracking in the distant future (this is like longterm care tips). Keeping the leather supple there will keep it from creasing too much and then cracking (I like Chamberlains Leather Milk which I reviewed here).