*This is not a sponsored review and I paid for this myself
I've had this Cuyana Le Sud Leather Travel bag for some time now but I really wanted to put it through its paces before giving a review here. But having traveled with it to Tahoe, LA and Hawaii I feel like I can give a fair review now.
First off this design comes in two sizes. This larger travel bag size and a smaller Le Sud Leather Satchel size. This larger one goes for $375 while the smaller one retails for $295. Just make sure if you order this, you order the right one since in stand alone pictures they look identical.
So what I love about this travel bag:
- There are a ton of pockets inside the bag (which is lined with black cotton canvas). There's a slot for your laptop and then there's two big zippered pockets. On the outside there's a pocket that closes with a magnet which I slide my phone into for easy access.
- This bag measures 13 in. x 18 in. x 7.5-9in (9 at top, 7.5 at base) so it's a large bag and it can fit a lot! When coming back from Hawaii I had to let out the top (by unbuckling the side straps) and even though it didn't look as chic, it did the job of holding all my extra stuff
- The leather isn't too heavy
- The short straps were long enough to put over my shoulder (though the long strap was pretty useless when the bag was heavy)
What I didn't like about the bag:
- For the price point and what Cuyana stands for, this bag did not feel luxe. The pebble leather is probably very durable for traveling but the texture was rubbery and it wrinkled like in the picture above. TBH it looked like cheaply made-in-China leather.
- The way it slouched over my suitcase was not cute. I wish it came with horizontal straps on the other side so I could slide it over the handles of my suitcase. Then I didn't have to use the straps to hold it into place. Also if the bag was even slightly off centered, the bag would fall off the top and then start dragging on the floor while still hooked onto the handles. For $375 I would hope for more on my travel bag.
- The zippers were rough and jaggedy so I had to be careful when taking things in and out of the bag and pockets.
So the big question, would I buy this again? Nope. For the price I would want a better travel bag. Something chic, durable, but also more functional and luxe feeling. Ah well, I'll be using it until I find something better but for now it will do.
To be honest, I'm actually over Cuyana. I know they have a good message and are supposed to feel luxurious but their products haven't really stood up to scrutiny these days (like their linen top I reviewed this past summer). Everlane's leather goods feel more luxe and they're at a lower price point.
Anyone have any suggestions for travel bags that they swear by?